IBM Tivoli System Automation is a very flexible product that has a great depth of functionality. It supports many sophisticated means of disaster recovery preparedness including electronic of off-site DR data. Its core functionalities, however, are to support disaster recovery by producing off site tape copies of backed up and archived data and to define the processes for recovering the TSM server in the event of its total loss.
Tivoli System Automation for Multiplatforms can:
- Reduce unplanned downtime by detecting outages and taking corrective actions.
- Decrease planned downtime by keeping components and applications on- or offline.
- Provide flexibility to fit your needs with optional components and modules.
- Simplify configuration and operations with policy elements, automatic monitoring and accelerating root cause analysis of failures.
- Provide reliability and scalability with cluster-wide heart beating and tie breaking approaches.
The most important part of TSM is to develop a strong plan. Our G/S team will develop a plan along side of your IT department. The following are good questions to ask when developing a plan for TSM:
- Determine your business requirements by conducting a risk and business impact analysis to determine the business needs. Identify and quantify business processes that cannot be performed without specific information technology (IT) processes, and try to place values on the IT processes involved. Factor in time scales for outages and cost of recovery to help prioritize steps of the recovery process. Consider also the risk the organization bears if some business transactions are lost during the disaster. Determine to what degree such a loss can be tolerated for each business process. The results can be used to determine the IT requirements.
- Determine your IT recovery requirements by converting your business requirements into terms that your IT system designer can use. The result is usually prepared as a matrix showing, for each business and management application, the required recovery time, maximum allowable data loss, computing power required to run, disk storage required, and dependencies on other applications or data. A good deal of cooperation across organizational and departmental boundaries might be necessary to reach consensus on these matters.
- Design the backup and recovery Tivoli environment with the overall characteristics and major elements of the recovery Tivoli environment. These elements describe, in a generic way, any special hardware and software functions required for the backup and recovery processes, location for recovery items, the recovery configuration and the network and interconnection structures. Often, a high-level design is sufficient to estimate the cost of the solution. After the solution decision is definite, a more detailed design is required.
- Select the products to implement the plan. Your choices influence the cost of replacing the Tivoli environment, so some reiteration might be required. Products means the hardware, the software, and possibly the selection of an alternate site for the implementation.
- Create the recovery Tivoli environment according to the design that was developed. To do this, you must make arrangements regarding alternate sites (if any), install any required hardware and software components, and develop the recovery system. The development of the recovery system is a project on its own. You must perform the following steps:
- Set up the recovery teams
- Develop and implement backup and recovery procedures
- Document the recovery steps
- Keep the solution current as the computing environment changes, the recovery system must be modified to reflect the new realities. You also need to define procedures to ensure that the recovery Tivoli environment remains viable regardless of changes at the primary or alternate site. Do this by developing and implementing procedures for maintaining, testing, and auditing the recovery system.
Our team of experts can design and implement the TSM strategy that you can feel confident that will be leaving edge today and allow you to grow into the future.